http://www.mcoba.org Mocking Mind: Dame's Dinner

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dame's Dinner

An invitation card went around in my office, passed around from desk to desk and ended on my desk. I tried to decline by saying that it's a Baju Batik dinner and I don't have any baju batik with me here. I was immediately given a loaner.

So at 7.45pm, there I was trying to mingle around with civil servants, sponsors and media outside Primula's Gemelan 1 Hall. With little success I might add. The media sticks to themselves. The civil servants in their own circle of friends, making jokes I don't understand. I feel like I'm in an alien world.

Where was I? I was at the dinner to welcome Dame Ellen MacArthur. The lady sailor that stop-over in KT's Heritage Bay Marina during her record making Asian sailing trips.

A short film about Terengganu touristic spot was shown. Then a short documentary of her record breaking round the world feats. Then there was a sampan replica given to her followed by dinner. Then came the traditional dance performance. Those dancers sure have fast legs. It's like a malay version of Riverdance but less sync. That's when I quietly head for the back door. What else can I do when the rest of my table-mate has already left earlier.

Except for the Ellen's documentary and the dancers, the dinner was a boring affair. One that most people will find a waste of time and money. I feel as if most of the local sponsors for the event was either a Terengganu Govenment linked entities or they are being forced to sponsor. Including the company I worked with.

Having said that, I have to admit my admiration for Ellen. It's not easy to circle the globe alone. And in record time too. Eat your heart out Datuk Azhar!

P/S: Sorry, no photos. I was a bit shy to take out my lowly digicam in the middle of those pro SLR those media guys are using (Alasan la tuh!!)

4 Comments:

Blogger daftsavant said...

Malay version of Riverside? LOL.

I remember [Dame] Ellen MacArthur on a Top Gear show last year (downloaded off torrent of course, BBC version in Astro is awfully shortened). Even Jeremy Clarkson—the aloof and sarcastic presenter—is quite awed with her achievement on her last Atlantic race. She took the usual celebrities challenge around Top Gear’s airfield circuit, and managed a time of 1:46.7. The fastest sailor around the world is now the fastest Star in a Reasonably Priced Car beating the fifty-nine other guest celebrities. How cool is that.

PS: I never knew you’re an alumnus from NCL. Never stay in student accommodation though. Been moving a lot there too, I tallied six.

2:10 pm  
Blogger Feisal said...

norzu, missed by a day. Maybe because she was early :-)

daftsavant, what did she drive? I think I saw her photo with an Espace before. Record time in an Espace would be WOW!!!

BTW, that West Rd. house of yours, was also occupied by Malaysians during my time. One of your neighbour (both husband and wife) is a UNN grads. Newscastle is aplenty in KT!

12:16 am  
Blogger daftsavant said...

Reasonably Priced Car: Suzuki Liana. Yeah, I never heard of that car either.

That Northumbrian grads are my neighbour next door :)

2:55 am  
Blogger Tigrrr said...

I used to work at Primula. Remember one time when there was an UMNO meeting and they booked the ballroom (Gamelans 1-4) and I could see cigarette smoke wafting down the stairs like dry ice liddat. Scary! That time the no-smoking laws weren't enforced. I'd hate to think what the condition of my lungs are right now, no thanks to all that exposure.

Ah, I see my neighbour DS is around here too. =)

4:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home