http://www.mcoba.org Mocking Mind: How Much?

Sunday, May 07, 2006

How Much?

Got an email from my batch's mailing list. It lists the available posts in Shell Malaysia and worldwide and it invites us to apply. It was for posts with experience in excess of 7 years. There were also some discussions on it later on. As with most people, my interest was more on the salary level. Not that I'm interested to apply. Just interested to know.

For most of the positions, we were advised to ask for between 9k-10k. For locations in East Malaysia, a further 25-30% hardship allowance and 10-20% housing allowance also applies. If you have special skills and are willing to relocate overseas, you can apply for Expat scheme where you are paid in Euro and does not have to pay tax.

Let's just take the middle ground and relocate to East Malaysia (Miri perhaps). 9500+(9500 x 27.5%)+(9500 x 15%)......errr where's my calculator??......RM13537.50. Then there's the usual perks and benefit of a middle management in an oil and gas company such as medical, club membership, business class travel, yada..yada..yada..

Well, Miri is not that bad. Been there. Even enjoyed it there. Got the Tikar Sarawak to prove it. Should I apply? I'll give it a miss.

Why? Well, money isn't everything. Furthermore, I have been living an expat life before. Been there, done that. Time to settle closer to home.

2 Comments:

Blogger daftsavant said...

I’ve never been an expatriate, but I settle for less capitalistic approach. Then again, the road of career to me is a winding one. When I was young, when dad keep moving every 2-3 years to East Malaysia and around the Peninsular (and a couple of month stretch in SEA countries)—I find it hard to adapt with the different environment every so often, and I don’t went to SBP furthermore. The whole environment changing just stuck in my psyche, and I feel the need to change of air every 1-2 years or so. I would move, but not for the sake of higher income. Then I move again and again…till I settle down and get domesticated with familial responsibilities. But that’s just me.

1:30 pm  
Blogger Feisal said...

Family is one of the reason I wanted to stay closer to home. I was also moving quite often when I was young and I really don't enjoy that. Especially having to move school. BTW, I'm also a NCL grad having stayed in Leazes Parade and Leazes Terrace during my days there.

3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home